Shawn C. Saltou
MIDWEST Drafting & Design
1154 Cambridge Street, Cresco IA 52136
In 1995, I received an Architectural Degree while studying under (and working for) two great Architects in the Denver, Colorado area. After graduation I moved back to NE Iowa where I realized that small town living in the Midwest is where I want to raise my family. In 1996 I started helping homeowners and home builders in Residential Design and Construction and quickly became addicted. I enjoy educating homeowners on the incredible amount of choices that are available when building a new home or addition and discussing which options, construction techniques, and materials would be best for each situation. I also promote a whole-house systems approach to energy efficiency and have seen first-hand how a properly built home makes a difference in performance, energy efficiency and health benefits to the occupants. After Designing over 800 new homes and over 800 home additions I feel I'm very fortunate to be doing what I love.
I feel attending workshops and seminars regarding Building Science for our climate zone and Residential Design trends is critical and am always on the hunt for courses sponsored by EEBA, NAHB, BPI, PHIUS, and JLC
2016: Attended The Energy Design Conference and Expo in Duluth Mn.
2014: Attended KBIS (Annual Kitchen & Bath Industry Show) and the IBS (Annual International Builders Show). Lots of great seminars and workshops along with all the latest and greatest products and trends.
2014: Attended Building Science Courses sponsored by The Building Science Corporation with Speaker/instructor Dr. Joseph Lstiburek. www.buildingscience.com. Build Tight Ventilate Right!!
2012: Attended the 7th Annual North American Passive House
Conference in Denver Colorado with a tour of 'Pending' homes under
construction in the Boulder area. Insulation, Insulation, and More Insulation...
Memberships and Certifications
- Cresco Iowa Chamber of Commerce
- Decorah Area Chamber of Commerce
- Midwest Renewable Energy Association
- Oneota Community Co-op
- COSC Certified Sustainable Professional
- Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (National Assoc. of Home Builders)
- Residential Award 2005 Iowa Concrete Ready Mix Assoc.
- 2014 National 1st Runner up ICF Builders Awards Unlimited Residential Category
- 2016 National 1st Runner up ICF Builders Awards Large Residential Category.
- Aging-in-Place NICC - 2006
- Building Sustainable Communities Conference NICC - November 2008
- Howard Winn Junior High STEM Program 2014
Hobbies, Books, Interests
- Called a Construction Site Stalker, I take great pride in watching projects come to life.
- Taliesin (Home, Studio, and School of Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright) in Spring Green Wisconsin
- Visiting Home Shows and Parade of Homes every year from Minneapolis, MN. to Madison, WI. to Cedar Rapids, IA. to Mason City, IA. and everywhere in between.
- "Green from the Ground Up" by Johnston and Gibson
- "A Builders Guide to Cold Climates" by Joseph Lstiburek
- "A Pattern Language"
- Anything written by Sarah Susanka (Not so Big House)
- Fine Homebuilding Magazine
- Journal of Light Construction Magazine